Because of this connection, I was fooling around on the internet looking at some superhero stuff and stumbled upon the We Can Be Heroes website. Long story short; DC Entertainment is matching donations dollar for dollar for relief aid through Save The Children, Mercy Corps, and The International Rescue Committee, to help the people who live in the Horn of Africa who are suffering through a horrible hunger crisis.
This got the wheels turning about how I could get my students involved.
Very shortly we will be starting a poetry unit and part of that unit is going to be focused on the theme of Being a Hero. I am going to find a community venue and hold a poetry reading in which the community can hear the poetry and offer donations for this cause.
The students will get authentic feedback, a chance to let their voices be heard, satisfaction of knowing they helped someone for no other reason than it was the right thing to do, and I get to bring my love for super heroes into the classroom.
All of this stuff we are going to do ain't on the test. And that's ok.
How can you help?
You can donate on your own or wait until I post more information about our poetry reading.
(proceeds from this song on itunes go to this cause)
I wish I had a teacher like you when I was in school!
ReplyDeleteit was a nice assembly you had on the subject
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete